Paratha is a piece of flat unleavened bread fried on a griddle.
The dough is made from wheat flour.
Well this is my favourite north indian dish !
But it is fattening as in addition to the potato we use butter to brush the parathas.
so guys who are on diet be aware!
Aloo(Potato) - 2 medium size
Green chillies - 4 nos
Onion - 1 medium size( finely chopped)
Mustard - 1 tspn
Garlic - 4 pods ( finely chopped)
Coriander leaves- a bunch ( finely chopped)
Cumin - 1/4 tspn
Ajwain - 1 tspn
salt- acc to taste
chilli powder- 1/4 tspn
coriander powder- 1/4 tspn
garam masala - 1/4 tspn
butter- 2 to 3 tbspn
oil- 1 tbspn
alternatively this recipe can be prepared without using chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Pressure cook the potatoes until soft and when done cool it and mash the potaoes and add 1/2 tspn of ajwain and set it aside
- heat about 1 tbspn of oil and then add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter and when done add the cumin seeds and saute for few secs and then add finely chopped garlic
- when it begins to brown add the finely chopped green chillies and then add the finely chopped onions and keep sauting till the onions begin to turn brown
- now add the mashed potato mixed with ajwain to this
- add salt , chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala and keep sauting
- when the mixture is almost dry add the chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame and allow it to cool
- take about 1 1/2 cups of atta (Chappathi flour/wheat flour)
- add about 1/2 tspn of salt and 1/2 tspn of ajwain and add needed water sufficient enough to make a soft pliable dough. when ur making this for the first time it will be quite tricky as one tends to add more water there by making it either too soft or too hard but i assure you it is not that difficult.
- now take sufficient dough to the size of a big lemon and flatten it on the edges using your fingers and then take the potato dumplings to the size of a small lemon and place in on the dough
- flatten the potato dumplings but not too much to the edges
- now pull the edges of the dough to a heap using your fingers so that the potato dumplings are not seen on the outside( refer to the pics below)
- now spread some dry atta on the surface where u r going to roll
- and roll the dough using a rolling pin to a round shape.(well was able to obtain this shape after several attempts)
- heat tawa and place this on it when hot
- after few secs turn over n wait for it to get cooked
- then brush with butter and turn it
- again brush with butter on the other side and wait for 2 secs and then take it from the tawa.
- serve with pickle or any chutney of your choice.
From a friend.