Paruppu vadai is made out of dal dumplings fried in oil .
it tastes excellent when eaten hot. here goes the recipe. I happened to do this for a potluck on Diwali party.
Channa dal - 500 gms
Onions - 2 big nos
Curry leaves - 4 stalks
Dried red chillies - 4 nos
cumin seeds - 2 tspns
fennel seeds - 2 tspn
salt - approx 2 tspn(acc to taste)
asafoetida - 1/4 tspn
oil- 3 cups for frying
- Soak the channa dal for abt 2 hrs
- when they have doubled in size set aside about 5 tbspns of channa dal, this gives a crunchy taste to the vadai
- grind the remaining channa dal along with the red chillies to a coarse paste and add the chopped onions,roughly chopped curry leaves and cumin,fennel,asafoetida , salt ,coarsely grinded channa paste and the remaining dal and mix thoroughly .
- heat oil and meanwhile gently form lemon shaped balls out of this coarse paste and press it down with your palms
- when done fry these in batches and serve it hot with any chutney of ur choice or enjoy it as such.