When i got engaged my office colleague sent me an email containing a recipe PDF..
I had neatly printed it out and filed it. This came in handy during my trial times as i was zero in cooking .. i have tried this several times and this has always been a super duper hit at my place..
I'm not sure as to whether this is Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe.. but the taste is unbeatable !
2 cups plain flour (maida)
2 tbsp. curds
2 tbsp. butter or oil
1/2 tsp. soda bicarb
salt to taste
Milk to knead dough
oil to deep fry
- Sieve together flour, salt and soda.
- Add and mix in curds and oil.
- Add enough milk to knead into a soft pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth.
- Keep aside for 5-6 hours. Make sure the cloth does not dry up, or wet again.
- Knead dough again. Take fistful of dough. Roll into 1/4" thick 5" diameter round. Fry in hot oil.
- Turning only once. Till very light golden in colour. Repeat for all. Serve hot with hot channa and
- slices of onions and lemon.
1 cup kabuli channa soaked overnight
1 large tomato
2 large onions
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped coriander
1 tsp. ginger grated
1 tsp. garlic crushed
1 lemon (juice extracted)
2 tbsp. oil, 1 tbsp. ghee
1 tsp. tea leaves (tied into a pouch in a
small piece of clean muslin cloth)
4 green chillies slit
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1/2 tsp. each cinnamon - clove powder,
1/4 tsp. each garam masala, pepper powder
salt to taste
Method for Channa
- Put the soaked, washed channa in a cooked with enough water, tea pouch and bay leaves.
- Pressure cook till done. (approx. 6-7 whistles).
- Cool about 5 tbsp. channa for grinding.
- In a mixie, blend together 1/2 tomato, 1 onion, cooled channa and 1/2 tbsp. coriander. Keep aside.
- Chop remaining tomatoes and onions fine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add cumin seeds to splutter.
- Add ginger-garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, onion and fry till tender.
- Add channa-paste, fry further 3-4 minutes.
- Add all dry masala except cinnamon-clove powder.
- Stir and fry till oil separates. Add drained channa and 2 cup water which was drained from channa.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes till gravy thickens.
- Take in serving dish.
- Heat ghee in a small sauce pan.
- Add the chillies and cinnamon-clove powder.
- Add chopped coriander and pour hot over the channa.
- Squeeze lemon over channa.
- Stir in seasoning gently.
I'm sending this to My Legume Love Affair hosted by annarasa and started by susan