Medhu vadai is made of urad dal and it is my all time favourite
Sunday evening it was raining "cats n dogs " and we felt like having somethin piping hot
after few mins of thinking we zeroed in on having medhu vadai.
Urad dal- 1 cup (200 gms)
Green chillies - 4 to 5
Onions - 2
Curry leaves - a bunch
Ginger grated - 1 tspn
Asafoetida- 1/2 tspn
Coriander leaves - a bunch
salt - acc to taste
Oil - for frying
- wash n soak the dal and refrigerate for min 1 hr
- in the mean time chop the onions finely
- cut the green chillies and grate the ginger and finely chop the coriander leaves and curry leaves
- now grind the urad dal smoothly . care shud be taken not to add too much water as it might absorb excessive oil.
- when done add the onions , chillies, curry leaves , ginger, coriander leaves, needed sal and asafoetida. mix it thoroughly
- heat oil in a pan
- now comes the trickier part.
- usually the vada's have a hole in the centre to allow even frying
- the mixture must be in th right propotion to get this
- for begginers it is ok if u just fry it without the hole in the centre.
- wet ur hands and take the misture to the size of the lemon ball and a make a hole with ur thumb and gently drop it in the oil
- allow it to get fried , the color changes to golden brown and then turn it and fry evenly
- when done serve with coconut chutney .
- alternatively u can cool the vada and drop in curd and enjoy as thayir vadai(curd vada)